If you’re looking for a sweet treat that won’t set you too far back and has some healthy value, these are the cookies for you. While not quite worthy of being called good for you, these better-for-you banana bread oatmeal raisin cookies are pretty darn good, with a taste and muffin-like texture that will keep you going back for more.
I went searching for a healthy-ish cookie recipe after we had a rough night with Emme (one of the many times). We were laying low for the day and I was looking for something fun we could do at home. My intention was to make enough cookies to deliver some to our neighbors with newborn twins, but then Reece sneezed right into the batter, nixing that plan.
Despite my last name, baking isn’t something I particularly enjoy. That combined with the kids’ bad attitudes from our lack of sleep the night before led to it being less than the fun, low-key activity I had intended.
Nonetheless, it’s a recipe that I’ll keep on hand and look forward to making again. Or at least I’ll look forward to enjoying these again, if not the making of them!
I started with a recipe from MyRecipes.com and made some healthy tweaks to make it my own.
1/2 cup sugar–mostly brown, topped off with maple syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup white flour
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (omit if using salted butter)
1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add egg; beat well.
3. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
4. Add flour mixture to banana mixture and beat until blended.
5. Stir in raisins.
6. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets (or coated with cooking spray). They will not change shape when baking, so make sure you like how they look before putting them in the oven!
7. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until golden. I like mine to be slightly underdone in the center.
8. Cool and enjoy!
Let me know how you like them if you give them a try! I found I liked them so much, I negated the healthier part by going back for more. Whoops!
Linking up with Lean Lena for Tasty Tuesday!